Why patients might choose white, tooth-colored dental fillings for areas of decay
One of the most common dental issues is that of cavities. Cavities, also known as tooth decay, can negatively impact the health of the smile. To treat cavities, many Forked River, New Jersey area patients will need fillings. At All About Smiles Dentistry, we focus on both the health and appearance of the smile, so we use white composite fillings to treat cavities.
What is in white dental fillings?
White dental fillings are comprised of composite materials. Composite fillings provide both durability and resistance to fractures. The benefit of these tooth-colored restorations is that it is difficult to discern within the smile, especially when compared to silver amalgam fillings, metal fillings, or other dark-colored restorations used to repair a natural tooth. White fillings for cavities are highly desirable for this and other reasons, including safety and efficiency.
Are white dental fillings safe?
Other dentists utilize silver amalgam fillings, which are comprised of mercury, a toxic substance. These silver amalgam fillings can cause patients significant problems. With composite resin fillings, patients can rest easy, knowing that the area is fully bonded and repaired while remaining safe within the smile.
Why choose white fillings for cavities?
White fillings are commonly used for cavities for a variety of reasons. They are:
• Biocompatible for the smile
• Long-lasting, providing years of sealing
• Protective against bacteria entering into the tooth
• Appropriate for small to mid-sized areas of tooth decay
• Further strengthened with the placement of a dental crown
• Unable to expand and contract with temperature changes as silver amalgam fillings do
• Affordable and often covered by dental insurance plans
• Placed in a single dental appointment
• Comfortable to place, requiring minimal anaesthetics for preparation and placement
• Aesthetic, blending in with the patient’s smile
Get in touch with the team at All About Smiles Dentistry
To schedule an appointment with Drs. LouAnn Van Liew and Deborah Hoover of Forked River, NJ, call (609) 891-3637 today. The office is conveniently located at 710 Lacey Road, and accepts new and returning patients and families. We provide general and advanced cosmetic dentistry solutions for our community.